Friday, July 19, 2013

The Unforgotten Memoir: My story of Inspiration

 I'm here today with a review for you 
I'll be starting these Little reviews.
I hope you guys do read this reviews, and enjoy the journeys.
*One of my essays from my last participation in the UNESCO essay contest 2011


The Unforgotten Memoir:
My story of Inspiration


“We must be the change that we wish
to see in the world”.
                                                                                 - Gandhi


ICH LIEBE DEUTCHLAND!!!!!

        As I sit back I reflect on what menial words I would use to describe this past year's extraordinary experience I had in Germany.  I was arguing to put in word an experience extremely extraordinary and out of this world that changed me and my perception of what it truly means to see the world. I remembered how I was before, having narrow tunnel vision on how I perceived the world.  I'm not going to pretend that I loved every minute of it, but I believed that sometimes my expedition really inspired me to find out what is happening in the world around us — people  with common desire to achieve positive changes in our communities and to act as a living example of the power of contribution and compassion. 

 Aidilfitri of AFSers, MAS Embassy in Berlin

      To affect change, I need experience that motivates me to explore the world by sharing cultures and lifestyles abroad.  On the other hand, I get a chance to eliminate fear and prejudice among nations and as a young ambassador who plays an important role to build just and peaceful world. It begins when people from different countries and cultures meet, learn together and have better understanding of one another by promoting international understanding and peace through exchange programs.  
  
 Germany, here I come!  The day came on February 13, 2009. At the age of 18 I traveled half way around the world as an exchange student to a country nestled in central Europe. Germany is a melting pot of 82.2 million inhabitants and around 7.3 million foreigners.  I still remember how euphoric and excited I was when I arrived and I was eager to learn the culture and lifestyle of my host community as well as sharing with them my own culture and custom. I knew that the experience would open my eyes and I was amazed at how it changed my life. 

Nurnberg city, Bayern

       I was truly inspired by the amiable way of everyone around me, when I participated in the church choir and performed at a concert during Christmas celebrations.  As a young Muslim, I was facing my first Christmas experience ever. From the first of Advent till the climax (holy night), extended families gathered each night to celebrate the progress of Advent amidst the beautiful candle light. My communities were so proud to see me striving to be fully integrated into their culture. And I see no difference at all of how exuberant people can get during celebration and festivities whether in Germany or in Malaysia.

    Celebrate Christmas, Herrenberg
  

     Back in Germany I joined a program to create an international cookbook and I presented three recipes from Malaysia to be in the list of contents. Such superior strategies which can enhance and strengthen our relationship from sage equal of global taste. Consequently, I was quite proud of that book and filled with ecstasy to contribute three delicious Malaysian dishes.


 
 I Work in a cheese factory, Leutkirch.
   
     Difference in culture was of course one of the challenges I had to face as an exchange student. Learning the German language was not an easy task, it is not as easy as sitting ducks for learning; it was difficult because of the vocabulary, three word genders, case system and rigid syntax. I still remembered how mad I was in the first two weeks in Germany. As I did not have basics in German language, it was a huge challenge for me. Therefore,  I had to endeavor and struggle all the way, but with the encouragement and support from the community I managed to master the language.

Astronomer’s clock (1520), Ulm

    Weathering the challenges while I was abroad had helped me to become stronger, more independent, confident and I develop an interest in my new language.  I was able to adapt myself to any culture within any society in a short period of time.  I also became very interested in different cultures, I could call myself a multicultural person.      

 The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin
       
       I have to say that living all by myself hardened me up and allowed me to become a much stronger person in every aspect.    I learnt so much from living alone and it was full of good and bad events all of which I considered as lessons, or in other words experiences. In addition, I learned how to respect and accept others, regardless of our differences and also realized that we human beings have more in common than we ever know. 
   
AFS International exchange students, Rangsdorf

    Returning to Malaysia, I felt I had accomplished all that I had set out to learn.  Currently the highlight is sharing my experience with the local community which has been my priority from the moment I returned.  In a nut shell, I hope with some efforts we can create a better new world and may peace prevail on earth.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...